Gokshura is a herb that belongs to the Caltrop family and grows in dry and warm regions of the world. It is also known as Tribulus terrestris, small caltrops, puncture vine, or goat’s head. It has been used for centuries in Ayurveda, the traditional system of medicine in India, to treat various health conditions and enhance well-being. Gokshura is especially beneficial for men’s health, as it can improve sexual function, athletic performance, muscle growth, and urinary health. In this article, we will explore what Gokshura is, what are its chemical components, why men should consume it, what is the recommended dosage, and what are the possible side effects.
What is Gokshura?
Gokshura is a perennial plant that has a taproot and a hairy stem that branches out and forms flat patches. The leaves are pinnately compound and have small leaflets. The flowers are yellow and have five petals. The fruits are spiny capsules that contain several seeds. The fruits resemble the hooves of cows, which is why the plant is named as Gokshura (go means cow and akshura means hoof in Sanskrit)1.
What are the Chemical Components of Gokshura?
Gokshura boasts a rich chemical profile responsible for its numerous health benefits. Among these, saponins take centre stage, serving as pivotal bioactive compounds with diverse effects on the body. Gokshura encompasses two varieties of saponins: furostanol saponins and spirostanol saponins. These saponins play a role in enhancing the body’s production of testosterone, nitric oxide, and various other hormones. Additionally, Gokshura features a blend of alkaloids, flavonoids, phytosterols, tannins, and other phytochemicals, potentially endowing it with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, and antidiabetic properties.
Why Should Men Consume Gokshura?
Gokshura has many benefits for men’s health, especially for those who want to improve their sexual performance, athletic performance, muscle growth, and urinary health. Some of the main benefits are:
- Sexual health: Gokshura can improve sexual health by increasing testosterone levels and nitric oxide production in the body2. Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone that regulates libido, erection, ejaculation, sperm production, and muscle mass. Nitric oxide is a molecule that relaxes the blood vessels and improves blood flow to the genitals. By increasing these two factors, Gokshura can enhance sexual desire, arousal, erection quality, orgasm intensity, and fertility in men4. Gokshura can also treat sexual disorders such as erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, low sperm count, and low sperm motility.
- Athletic performance: Gokshura can boost athletic performance by improving stamina, endurance, strength, and recovery in men2. Gokshura can increase oxygen uptake and blood flow to the muscles and tissues during exercise. This can enhance energy production and reduce fatigue and weakness. Gokshura can also stimulate protein synthesis and prevent muscle damage caused by exercise. This can promote muscle growth and repair. Gokshura can also balance electrolytes and fluids in the body and prevent dehydration during exercise.
- Muscle growth: Gokshura can promote muscle growth by increasing testosterone levels and protein synthesis in the body2 . Testosterone is an anabolic hormone that stimulates muscle cell growth and differentiation. Protein synthesis is a process that creates new proteins from amino acids. By increasing these two processes, Gokshura can increase muscle mass and strength in men. Gokshura can also prevent muscle loss and sarcopenia (age-related muscle wasting) by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the muscles.
- Urinary health: Gokshura can improve urinary health by increasing urine output and preventing urinary tract infections in men. Gokshura has a diuretic effect that increases the amount and frequency of urination. This can help flush out toxins, excess water, salts, and waste products from the body. Gokshura also has antibacterial and antifungal properties that can prevent or treat infections caused by bacteria or fungi in the urinary tract. Gokshura can also reduce kidney stones by dissolving or preventing the formation of calcium oxalate crystals in the urine.
Dosage of Gokshura for Men
Determining the appropriate dosage of Gokshura for men may vary based on factors like the form, quality, and intended use. However, here are some general dosage guidelines:
- Gokshura Powder: Typically, a daily dose of Gokshura powder falls in the range of 3 to 6 grams, divided into two or three portions. You can mix the powder with water, milk, honey, or other beverages. For optimal results, consider taking Gokshura powder before meals or at bedtime.
- Gokshura Capsule: Gokshura capsules are usually taken at a dosage of 250 to 500 mg per day, divided into two or three servings. Swallow the capsule with water or your preferred liquid. It’s advisable to consume Gokshura capsules before meals or before bedtime.
- Gokshura Extract: For Gokshura extract, the typical daily dose ranges from 100 to 300 mg, distributed across two or three servings. You can find Gokshura extract in either liquid or tablet form. Taking Gokshura extract before meals or before bedtime is often recommended for optimal effects.
It is advisable to start with a low dose and gradually increase it as needed. It may take several weeks or months to see the full benefits of Gokshura. It is also recommended to consult a doctor before taking Gokshura, especially if you have any medical condition or are taking any medication.
Are There Any Side Effects of Gokshura for Men?
Gokshura is generally safe and well-tolerated by most men. However, some people may experience some mild side effects such as:
- Digestive issues: Gokshura may cause stomach upset, diarrhoea, nausea, or vomiting in some people, especially if taken in high doses or on an empty stomach. To avoid this, it is better to take Gokshura with food or milk.
- Allergic reactions: Gokshura may cause allergic reactions such as skin rash, itching, swelling, or breathing difficulty in some people, especially if they are allergic to Caltrop plants or have a history of asthma. To avoid this, it is better to do a patch test before using Gokshura or stop using it if you notice any signs of allergy.
- Hormonal imbalance: Gokshura may affect the levels of thyroid hormones, blood sugar, blood pressure, and other hormones in the body. This may cause problems for people who have thyroid disorders, diabetes, hypertension, or other hormonal conditions. To avoid this, it is better to monitor your hormone levels regularly and adjust your medication dosage accordingly if you are taking Gokshura.
Gokshura may also interact with some drugs such as blood thinners, blood pressure medications, diabetes medications, antidepressants, and others. Therefore, it is important to consult your doctor before taking Gokshura if you are using any of these drugs.
Gokshura is a powerful herb that can offer many benefits for men’s health. It can help men improve their sexual performance, athletic performance, muscle growth, and urinary health. However, it is important to use Gokshura with caution and under medical supervision, as it may cause some side effects or interactions in some people. Gokshura can be taken in various forms such as powder, capsule, or extract, depending on your preference and convenience. The optimal dosage of Gokshura for men may vary from person to person but generally ranges from 100 to 500 mg per day. Gokshura can be a great addition to your daily routine if you want to improve your physical and mental well-being.